The progressive mission of African Fashion Industry Awards is to recognize those that have significantly impacted the national and international fashion marketplace in the last twelve months and enhanced the identity of African Fashion Industry in Canada and Abroad. The event (African Fashion Awards) will award dozens of categories ranging from photography to media, designers to models and beyond. This event will embrace all corners of fashion- from our fresh emerging talent of the future to the trail blazers who have directly influenced fashion over the years.
Who can attend?
In addition to the top fashion nominees, our demographic audience ranges from the everyday enthusiast who enjoys fashion, the newest trends and hottest products, to members of the media from all areas to influential industry professionals, to celebrities and everyone in between. In short, the producers of this event do not see specific gender, color, age or creed; they simply love fashion and are excited to recognize the contributors of the African fashion Industry. Each year, this event will be created to celebrate creativity, success and diversity in African inspired fashion.
Nominations are submitted by AFC members and by select fashion publications, retailers, and stylists. Award winners will be voted (by a chosen industry committee members) on and announced at a separate event during the annual African Fashion Week in Toronto.
2016 Award Category
Fashion Icon Award Recipient
- Recipient: Ty Hunter (Beyoncé’s Stylist)
International Designer of the Year
- 5 Nominees: DuabaSerwaa, Ese Azenabor, Patrick Asso, Sorobis, Farida Styles
Emerging designer of the year
- 5 nominees:Zia Zamora, Ofuure, Gervacy, Be Daniel designs, Style me ankara
Fashion Contributor of the year (includes: hair & make stylists)
- 5 Nominees:Angela’s Beauty Box, Yvonne Ben, True colour, Martin Brown, Kuwala,
Fashion Trailblazer Award Recipient
- - Recipient: Helmer Joseph
Best Canadian Men’s wear Designer
- 5 Nominees:Eaden Myles, Cocody Collection, Niapsou Design, Christopher Afolabi (severe nature),
Accessory designer of the year
- 5 Nominees: Creations Youd, L’adorer, Kaba Jewellery, Yaw Tony, Rolake Young
Celebrity Style Award(Toronto based celebrities)
- 5 Nominees: Bismarck Biyombo, Tracey Moore (City line Host), Patricia Jaggernauth, Tyrone Edwards, Kardinal Official.
Model Excellence Award Recipient
- - Recipient: Herieth Paul
Best Canadian Ladies Wear Designer
- 5 Nominees:Zeena Kay, Rahyma, Coco Becky, Miss Beida, Cocody Collections
Rising star Canadian Model of the Year,
- 5 Nominees:NiniAmerlise, DjamilaSylla, Honey Benjamin, Gladys Mayanda,
Fashion Media of the year (Includes bloggers, television and magazine)
- 5 Nominees:The Kaleidoscopian,Planet Africa Magazine, Sincerely Miss J, The afro- fusion spot, Canneverbeaskinnybish.
- Award Presenter: Patricia Jaggernauth